Our speech pathologists and occupational therapists have extensive experience working with people with complex communication needs.
We offer targeted support for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) assessment, training and intervention.
AAC is a way of communicating that enhances or replaces speech. AAC systems can assist people who cannot speak, or have difficulty with speech, to develop language skills and have a voice of their own. This can enable them to participate in daily activities, learn and achieve more independence.
Our health professionals have up-to-date knowledge of current innovations in mainstream technology and dedicated communication devices such as:
Alternative Access Options
- Eye gaze
- Switch access
- Partner assisted scanning
Non-electronic Communication Aids
- Communication books including PODD books and multi-level communication books
- Communication boards including aided language displays, core boards and alphabet boards
Electronic Communication Aids
- iPad apps for communication
- Dedicated communication devices
- Single message, sequenced message and static display communication aids
Our team offers:
- AAC assessment and prescription
- Access to our hire service so you can trial equipment prior to purchasing it
- Communication device set up
- Programming and troubleshooting
- Follow up AAC intervention at home, school, work or in the community
- Support with completing assistive technology funding applications within the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Our therapists have experience working with the latest assistive technology and communication aids in schools to help students participate, learn and communicate.
We have experience working with students with a range of learning difficulties and disabilities including dyslexia, autism, cerebral palsy and intellectual disability.
Our team offers support to schools in:
- Access to the curriculum and communication systems
- Literacy support technology
- Educational software and apps
- Life skills
Daniel’s story – How the right communication system for Daniel has changed his life
Daniel and his mum Joanne share with us how the right communication system for Daniel has changed his life. The video demonstrates how having the right assistive technology and communication aids, along with a good support team, can make a big difference to a person’s life.