Home modifications are alterations made to the structure, layout or fittings of your home so you can continue to live safely and independently.
Modifications may include changes to your bathroom and kitchen, installation of ramps and rails, relocating light switches, adding safety locks and non-slip flooring, altering cupboard and bench heights, installing lever taps and the widening of doorways.
Home modifications could:
- Enhance your independence and confidence in activities such as showering, toileting and meal preparation
- Increase your safety and security and make things easier to use
- Reduce your fear and risk of falling
When is a good time to consider home modifications?
Many homes are not well designed to meet the needs of people with disability, older people or their carers. When areas of the home are a barrier to doing everyday activities comfortably and safely then it is a good time to look at how home modifications could assist you to adapt and overcome these difficulties.
Our team offers a range of home modification supports and services for you, including:
Consultation and assessment
- Information and advice about home modification options
- Providing recommendations
- Determining eligibility for assistance and funding
- Referral to, and liaison with, home modification providers to help manage the process from start to finish
- Organising the supply and installation of materials
- Obtaining building and planning approvals
- Project coordination
- Financial assistance
Indigo’s home modifications services are available for everyone. Some people may be eligible to access our services through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or other funding avenues. Find out more below.