PODD Introductory 2-Day Workshop
The Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) approach assists people with complex communication needs to learn to understand and use language to enable autonomous communication. It provides strategies to support the design, production and implementation of communication systems to enable genuine communication for a variety of functions in all daily environments.
This workshop will assist participants to understand the theory and practice related to PODD communication systems. It will provide information about the evidence base for aided language stimulation, a strategy to assist language learning for augmentative and alternative communication. This workshop provides theory, video case examples and supported practice so participants can develop their confidence in understanding and using PODD communication systems.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the challenges faced by professionals creating communication systems in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Reflect on and evaluate strategies for teaching communication skills
- Discuss the features of a PODD communication system in terms of vocabulary organisation, layout, design, range of access strategies and customising for individual requirements.
- Use PODD generic template resources to begin the process of dynamic assessment and to produce customised communication books.
- Discuss the teaching and learning strategies for implementing PODD communication systems with students and team members.
- Teach people with CCN and their communication partners to use PODD communication books in everyday environments, so communication happens across the day, anywhere and at any time.
Registration includes morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea. Please specify dietary requirements when registering for the workshop.
This workshop will be of interest to teachers, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, and educators of individuals who have complex communication needs. Family members and support people who would like a more in depth understanding of the PODD system are also welcome to attend. If you are considering PODD on an electronic communication device, this training would also be beneficial to develop your understanding about PODD features, organisation and teaching and learning strategies.